Center for Children
provides education, therapy and advocacy on mental health services for children and families in Southern Maryland. Through their programs they educate adults on how to not only prevent, but recognize signs if a child is being sexually abused. In this week’s Friday Focus we spoke to Lorin Johnson at Center for Children and learned some great ways to get involved!
Q: Tell us about your organization (who you serve, what you do, etc.)
The Center for Children, Inc
. is a private non-profit organization that provides comprehensive mental health services to children and families. We are dedicated to the promotion of positive mental health for children, youth and families and the prevention and treatment of child abuse in Southern Maryland. Through therapy, education and advocacy, we provide hope and healing.
Q: What is your favorite “moment” (example of how your organization helped)?
We offer Stewards of Children training to community groups and organizations, and recently brought this training to Charles County school staff.
The program teaches adults how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. It is designed for organizations that serve youth and for individuals concerned about the safety of children. The program is the only nationally distributed, evidence based program proved to increase knowledge, improve attitudes and change child protective behaviors.
Q: What is your biggest challenge?
Our biggest challenges are obtaining volunteers for events & fundraisers.
Q: Are there any upcoming events?
Q: How can people get involved with your organization?
- Touch A Truck fundraiser – Saturday, May 12, 2018 (https://center-for-children.org/touch-a-truck/)
- Advocate on behalf of Children’s Mental Health by calling or writing letters to legislators.
- Donate financially. Proceeds benefit CFC in its mission to provide prevention, awareness and treatment of child abuse.
- Volunteer to help with events & fundraisers. (Touch A Truck in the spring and Client Holiday Party in December)
- Become a CASA Volunteer. CASA of Southern Maryland’s mission is to recruit, train and supervise volunteers to provide a voice for the best interests of abused and neglected children. (https://center-for-children.org/programs/court-appointed-special-advocate-casa/)